Wednesday, March 11, 2009

backup, backup, backup!

About a week ago, one of my external hard drives stopped working. For a few days, it had been making a weird clicking noise. Then, it just stopped being recognized by the computer. At first, I thought it was "no big deal" because it's the EHD that has all my "digital freebies" (digital scrapbook stuff that I've downloaded for free). But as time goes on, I realize that EHD had more and more stuff on it that I'd forgotten about. Like the Excel file with all my unused coupons for different digi stores. And all the digital card projects (that I'd paid for!). Plus, almost 2 years of my favorites sites.
Since the EHD crashed, I've signed up for Mozy. The backup had been running for several days, and was 36% complete. Then last night, Windows thought it would be the perfect time to install some updates and restart the computer. GAAAAHHH!!! Now the Mozy backup had to start all over. oh, I am so frustrated!!!
But, I am relieved that the other EHD is still working fine. That one has all the pictures, completed scrapbook pages, and all the digi stuff that I've purchased.

Moral of the story: backup your files!! You never know what you're going to miss using.

2 comments:

Grandpa Dennis said...

Yup... fer shure... you can back up almost your entire hard drive on one of those "carry-it-on-a keychain" sticks. Hope it all worked out okey dokey.
Dad

The Dillon 6 said...

we got a WD Passport several months back...I've now stored every last digital image we have on it...and it makes me SICK to think that something could happen to it. :( So I'm thinking maybe I'll get another one so I can back up the backup...

Hope it all turned out well!!