Tuesday, October 09, 2007

loud

We have lived in our house for 9 months now. yay! Before here, we lived in an apartment on the air force base in Florida. We lived on the ground floor of a 2-level building, which had 7 units; 1 was a duplex-style, and the rest were single-level. There was an apartment above us, and the duplex was next to us. For the last 8 months we lived there, the apartment above us was empty. And Mellanie, my next-door neighbor, told me that she never heard any noise from our apartment. Considering the yelling from one end of our apartment to the other (yes, in a 800-square foot apartment we felt the need to yell ) and the TV and the boys, I was constantly asking her if we were too loud, but she insisted she never heard anything. So it's been almost 2 years since we really had to worry about our noise level. BUT even now, I find myself thinking that the subwoofer should be turned down, or that we shouldn't sing so loud, or that the boys are yelling too loud, and that the neighbors will hear us.
Did that happen to any of you when you moved to your house?

1 comment:

The Dillon 6 said...

We lived in apartments and a townhouse for 13 years.

We've been in our "stand alone" house for almost 4 years now, and I am still convinced that everyone outside can hear everything happening inside. If I am in true screaming-mimi mode I actually go and make sure the windows are closed so that no noise will leak outside...

I don't know that you'll ever outgrow the feeling that you need to be "quiet" for the sake of your neighbors...sorry!