Friday, June 19, 2009

And back again...

We (the kids and I) went to Oregon for Jaylin's funeral. We stayed for 9 days, helping Emily get settled. Then we took a train ride and went to Maple Valley, WA for a week. I finally bought the return tickets on Friday, after looking at several options; for Saturday at 12:20. Friday afternoon, we got to hang out with Levi. I'm so glad I saw him! I apparently wrote a horrible letter to him several years ago, and told him I couldn't be his friend, and that's why we haven't spoken in 8+ years. I suck. I apologized. We moved on. yay! (yes, a horrible summation, but there it is) So I got "home" a lot later than I intended, and since both of my sisters were at the local fair, I was locked out (turns out I wasn't, but oh well). I finally got the text with the code to get into Missy's house, but after getting the kids to bed (I had to take them to Preston's for one last hurrah, lol) and all, I fell asleep with Miaka and thus couldn't pack the car.

Saturday dawned bright and early, but I slept through it. LOL! I didn't wake up until 8, and then didn't get everything packed in Sheila's car until 10, and we didn't leave until close to 10:45. yeah! So we get to the airport just after 11. Unload all the bags (checking in 6!) and realize Miaka was asleep, so Sheila kept her there at the car while I checked us in. The first guy got all flustered and handed me off to another lady. She asked again what time my flight was, where I was going, etc. After several minutes, she said, "Your flight was at 10:20." WHAT!!?? I just stood there with my jaw open, and feeling SO STUPID. I said, "Oh my!" She looked at other options for me to travel that day, and said, "There's a flight into Salt Lake, then on to Las Vegas. hmmm...but you'd have to stay the night there." I blurted out, "I don't know anyone in Las Vegas!"** She tried to help me feel better, and joked, "Are you staying with family? Are you still on good terms with them?" I laughed, and said, "Yes, my sister is right over there. I must have mixed up another day's time with today and just got it stuck in my head, I'm so embarrassed!" And she replied, "Well, you've got a lot going on. 3 kids, checking in 6 bags, that's a lot!" :) So in the end, she booked me for Sunday and no additional cost. Thank you, nice Southwest lady! :D

Well, the rest of the day I was a burden. LOL Seriously, Sheila and Missy were expecting me to be gone, and they did a lot of work making sure I was included in all their activities. They even traded cars so that Preston and my boys could hang out some more. (I had been using Sheila and Andy's extra car, but Andy needed it that day.) In all this, I was not able to visit my mom again, which upset her. It upset me, too, but what could I have done? For some reason, after missing my flight, calling my mom wasn't my first thought.

Sunday there was very little to pack, since I just grabbed some clothes from the bags. We got there in plenty of time, boarded smoothly. There were some people grumbling (audibly) about "the baby" on the plane, while waiting to board. Miaka woke up, looked back, grinned real big and everyone went, "oooohhhh!" and smiled and laughed. That flight was 4.5 hours long, and I got lots of compliments afterwards on how well-behaved my children were. yay me! :) The flight attendants made the trip fun by saying funny things, like "You're getting very sleepy!" when we taxiied for take-off, and whispering, "Wake u-up!" when we taxiied at landing.

When we got to Chicago, I noticed that our connecting flight was delayed, and wouldn't leave for 3 hours. I got dinner from Potbelly's (where else? ;>) and then realized there was a USO, so we headed over there. What a nice place! TV, comfy chairs, internet, a semi-secluded dark room (perfect for nursing the baby), food, drinks...and it was all free! :) The volunteers there were so helpful and accommodating. About 10 minutes before boarding, we left there and headed to the gate. ... Where we found that the flight was delayed ANOTHER hour. OMG!!! The USO had closed, so I had to wait with the kids right there, with all the other grumbly and upset passengers. When we finally got on the plane, I was amazed and thankful that the boys did NOT fall asleep on the flight (it was only a 1-hour flight).

So we arrived without further incident, and finally got home around 1:30am. Of course, I've been on West Coast time (yes, I know it's called Pacific, whatever LOL) for 2 weeks, so for me it was only 10:30, and I had a hard time getting to bed and asleep. I finally fell asleep around 4:30, and didn't wake up until after 8, and the boys were still asleep, so I decided that Krillin was NOT starting Cub Scout camp that day. LOL :)

The boys are now fine, but I am still having a tough time adjusting to East Coast time. Is it because I'm older? Because of the time of day I arrived? or just because I'm stubborn? ;)

**It was at this point, in telling the story to Missy, once we got back to Sheila's house (4 hours later) that Missy almost collapsed to the floor in laughter. I realized with horror who I had forgotten, and whispered, "Oh. Dad." I could have seen my dad, his wife, and my sister Lisa, all in one stroke (all of whom I haven't seen for at least a year), and I totally blanked on them. I suck.
"I don't know anyone in Las Vegas!" is now my motto for when I do something totally, inconceivably stupid.


The Dillon 6 said...

it's because this is where your heart is, silly.

We had a lot of fun with you "and the boys" (and Miaka, too).

I am going to upload photos to a shared-site so you can tell me which ones you want.

we love you!!

The Royals said...

I'm pretty sure it's cuz you're stubborn. All of us May girls are.

Grandpa Dennis said...

Nobody in Las Vegas?

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

there, now I updated it to include the WHOLE story. I knew I forgot something! aaarrrrgg!

Dennis and Sandii said...

what a great trip! sorry the beginning was for such a sad reason and sorry we didn't get a chance to see you and the boys..... but what fun you had!

Dennis and Sandii said...

also, what a beauty Miaka is becomming! sorry we missed her!