Saturday, June 16, 2007

not healing well ... and some musings

As you may know, I broke my right arm (right at the wrist, but still technically the arm bone) back in March, and had the final cast removed at the end of April. It's now about 6 weeks since the cast was removed, and my wrist does not seem to be healing very well. I can do most things fine, but I cannot turn my wrist very far "in" or "out" without pain. I have to use my left hand for some "personal" things, and I also have some troubles with cooking, carrying things, and hugging (my wrist won't bend naturally so that hand kinda sticks out...go ahead and laugh, it's funny ), and it fatigues very quickly. Tonight I learned that riding my bike is a pain in my wrist. gah!
Anyway, I'll be starting Occupational Therapy for it on Monday. Doc says if it's not showing a marked improvement in 6 weeks, I will have to have my arm re-broken. Yes, on purpose! Then he will want me to stay in a cast for at least 8 weeks, to ensure proper healing. UGH!!!
So send happy thoughts my way, so the OT will go well.

Just to prove that I do read the PC Magazine newsletter:
Pimp my Drive Bay
What, the gig just isn't enought for ya?
How a motherboard is made, or Egg Yolk Pie (because the ending makes it all worthwhile)

The boys discovered the Pets area at Meijer today. I showed Krillin one of the hamsters that was waking up and stretching. Kenshin was enthralled with the fish, especially the ones with whiskers, and the snails. oh, and also the step stool that the employees use. LOL He is quite short, after all, so he moved it from tank to tank, running commentary of course. Krillin didn't say as much as Kenshin, but they both agreed that having a pet hamster would be nice. On the way home, Krillin told me that the guinea pig wouldn't be as good, because they die. I didn't get the rest of the story until we got home, because he kept telling me to drive faster. Apparently, the little guinea pig that our neighbors had, died. I don't know how long ago, but Krillin told me they buried it under rocks. "So that's why I want a hamster. Mom, you know so much about hamsters!" And he positively beamed at me! *heart melting* "Oh, thank you for saying that, Krillin."
"Yeah! You knew he was stretching! Remember? When he woke up and he was moving around? And he did that thing, and you told me he was stretching! You know so much about hamsters, so I think we could have one. Do we have to buy it?"
"Yes, you have to buy the pets."
"Do we have money for one?" (He is starting to learn that things cost money, and that we usually don't have it.)
"You will have to ask your dad." Okay, so I copped out in the end. I would love for them to have a pet, but after learning that the guinea pig died, I don't know how they would handle that.
Actually, that was the 2nd "death" I handled today. The boys LOVE to watch the lobsters in the tank in the seafood section. When we got there, Kenshin said, "Oh no! There are not too many!" Krillin looked just as dismayed, and he asked where they went.
"People probably bought them."
"You mean for pets?" His eyes shone so bright, I could see what he was imagining. And so it killed me to say, "No, people buy them to eat them."
Kenshin's head whipped to look at me, and he said, "What!?"
Krillin just looked at the tank with his mouth open, his eyes now horror-stricken.
"Yes, some people eat lobster." and enjoy every savory bite, I didn't add.
They both looked at the tank, and after a few moments Krillin said, "Are they like fish?"
"hhhmmm... kinda, yeah."
"How do people eat them?"
"First they have to cook them. I think they do that in a pot of hot water."
"And do they take off the pinchers?"
"Yes, the pinchers come off before they eat them."
*slight pause* "What do they do with the pinchers after that?"
"I....dunno. I guess they throw them away."
"Oh." He thought about that for awhile, but didn't say anything else about them.

It reminded me of his reaction when I told him about chickens. We live in a subdivision of about 100 houses, just off an almost-dirt road in a little town. It's very windy, quite narrow, and if you don't hit a mailbox, you'll probably hit a chicken. I almost hit a chicken, and made a comment about chicken soup. Krillin (from the backseat) said, "hahaha, we don't eat chickens!"
We had just finished a lunch of chicken nuggets, so I laughed and said, "Yes we do."
"No we don't! That's silly! I'm right, you're wrong."
"A lot of people eat chickens. That's where chicken nuggets come from."
"No! Chicken nuggets come from the store."
Touché. "Yes, but they use chickens to make the nuggets, then sell them at the store."
"But those aren't road chickens!"
"What?"
"We don't eat road chickens!"
I had to agree. I certainly have never eaten a chicken that I saw on the road. then I had to add, "Eggs come from chickens."
"ha ha ha! No they don't."
"Yep, they do. The egg comes out of the chicken's butt." I have NO idea where the egg actually comes out of (and I do NOT want to know), I was just trying to gross him out.
"EEEEEWWWW! That's not right. You're wrong. I'm right."
So I used a reference that he would understand. "Remember on Hard Hat Harry, when he said 'what comes first, the chicken or the egg'?"
"yeah."
"That's because the chicken is the egg's mommy. Eggs sometimes turn into baby chicks."
"Do we have baby chicks in our fridge?"
"No, those eggs went in a machine so they won't turn into chicks."
"Nope! I'm right, you're wrong."
I would not have been surprised for him to say he wouldn't eat chicken, but he hasn't mentioned it since. And now that I think about it, he also hasn't eaten scrambled eggs since. ...

No comments: