Thursday, September 11, 2008

I remember.

I was awakened by a phone call from my sister, Cyndie. I was surprised, because Cyndie knew that we worked late, and so a phone call at 7 am (MST) was more than a little odd.
"Turn on your TV."
"What? Why?" I thought maybe a funny commercial was on.
"A plane hit the World Trade Center in New York. Turn on your TV."
"Bull****."
"I'm not joking. Turn on the TV now!"
"Okay, okay. Hang on." I wandered to the living room and flipped on the TV. "What channel?"
"Doesn't matter. It's on all of them."
And then I saw it. The buildings full of flames. The clouds of smoke. The noise was awful. All those people! I just wanted the reporters to shut up. I don't remember hanging up the phone, but asked Cyndie to find out if Missy and her family was okay (Doug worked in NYC, and I wasn't sure where Missy's office was; they lived in Yonkers). For the next 2 hours, I could not move. I know I woke up P-chan.
And then the buildings collapsed. I could not stop crying. We just sat and watched. There were some phone calls to and from people we knew. Everyone was subdued.
Sometime after noon, I realized we still had to go to work, so we got ready. {We both worked for a call center for DirecTV; P-chan in HR, and I was a floor supervisor.}
I remember the meeting at work, where they told us about all the things this meant for customer service issues (there were a few movies that were replaced by "fluffier" movies), as well as things they were implementing for the employees (counseling, time off, etc). I was concerned about my team, as they'd only been on the phones for a few weeks, and most were fresh out of high school. But every single employee showed up, and every single one did a fine job.
I was surprised that so many customers didn't know anything about the attacks. I explained to one irate customer that the HBO feed was coming out of Los Angeles, because the New York feed was down.
"Why the **** is it down?"
"Because the World Trade Center was hit by two planes this morning and 2 buildings collapsed. Most communication from New York is solely news right now."
He paused, then asked, in a much nicer voice, "Would this be covered by CNN?"
"Yes, sir. I'm watching that coverage right now."
"Thank you. I'm sorry I was such an ***. I didn't know."

Other customers wanted to know why Passenger 57 wasn't playing. "The station decided to not show it, in light of the presumed terrorist attacks in New York this morning." Again, the pause, followed by the question of news coverage.

I remember one employee (under another supervisor) who broke down in tears. The customer on the phone was desperate to learn if their sister was in the towers, and thought we had some way of finding out. The supervisor had to take over the call, and explain we didn't have any way of knowing. The supervisor was crying. Everybody who heard the supervisor was crying. I wasn't even sure if my sister was okay, so I was sobbing.

I remember September 11, 2001. Where were you?

2 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

We have always been grateful that we were on vacation when this happened. Doug worked down there and would not have run from the danger. And he would have, undoubtedly seen the horror first hand. Nobody needed to see that. Thank you for crying for our family ~ but especially for all those families affected by this unforgettable and horrifying day.

The Royals said...

That was beautiful and I did cry, I'm still crying!