Thursday, December 04, 2008

It's been a long time, but I did it!

Yessirree, I locked myself out of the house. I had just gotten the boys on the bus, and remembered it's garbage day, so I went inside to get the garbage and outgoing mail. I put both of them in their proper spots, returned to the house, and that's when I found the door locked. I don't even remember locking the front door when I took out the trash. It's a good habit to have, I guess. I've caught myself doing it when the boys and I go for a walk. But this time I didn't catch myself. oops! Why not go in through the garage, you ask? Well, because I don't like the idea of someone getting into my house through the garage, so that door is deadbolted all the time. And the back door? We have our Christmas tree in front of the back door, so of course it's deadbolted, too.
I went down to Becca's house to borrow her phone and phonebook. After a few minutes, I realized that all of the listings are for greater Louisville, and...well, I don't really live "that" close to Louisville, and I would probably be charged extra. But then Becca's husband tried a spatula to unlock their door, and it worked. So we came back here, he tried it, and VOILA! It worked! I'm very thankful for that, but also a little freaked out that a plastic spatula can open my locked door.
So I am safely back at home. No harm done. Becca and her husband saw me in all my Morning Glory, of course, so maybe there was some harm. ;0 I'm in my jammies, with a fleece hoody, a fleece hat (to cover my bed-head), and no make-up. hurray for mornings!

7 comments:

The Royals said...

Wow! I would be a little freaked out also!

Autismland Penny said...

Woohoo! God is good all the time! Perhaps a deadbolt for the fromt door too? Wait! I see a Christmas present for you and P Chan!!!

The Dillon 6 said...

I would say a new lock is in order. As well as a spare set of keys at the neighbors. ;) Glad you're home and WARM!

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

The front door does have a deadbolt, I just didn't "accidentally" lock it on the way out. ;)

Grandpa Dennis said...

I believe situations such as this are one of the most difficult to adequately describe. Words fail at the 'moment of horrow' when we realize what has happened.

Scott was helping me blow bark at a customers home near Kingston once upon a time. He moved the pickup truck and left it running when he got out. Oh -- and then the door locked behind him. The wife of the guy we were shooting for was the office manager at my dentist. I quickly called her and asked if she could stop by our house and get my spare key on her way home. That worked... and we hadn't run out of gas by the time she made it home.

Grandpa Dennis said...

That should be HORROR... not horrow... oops

Sandii said...

ooopppps! I always have that fear that I will do it also...... glad you could get in, but with a spatula? that is scary!