Saturday, July 12, 2008

albino zucchini...and etc

My Our garden is starting to have some delicious food ready to eat! We now have waaaaaay more lettuce than we would normally eat (4 different kinds, no less); sugar snap peas; strawberries; carrots; and of course zucchini. I don't know what I was thinking, planting 3 zucchini plants...probably that I like z.bread...but I failed to think of the fact that I am diabetic when pregnant. oops! As my dad used to say, "It's zucchini season, lock your doors." We already have 3 ripe, one being albino. What's that about? Also, our yellow squash (that the boys got from the trip to Slowpoke Farm) are coming in nicely. We are still waiting for the hot peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons, and honeydew to grow some actual fruit.

~mmm, bread!~~I made 2 loaves of z.bread today. P-chan ground some wheat for flour, so I used half wheat, half white. I also used the Splenda brown sugar for the brown sugar. I have NO idea what the ending carb count was, but I felt justified in having 2 thinnish slices with lunch. You know, fruits of my labor and all.

~~mmm, brown sugar!~~
As for the Splenda brown sugar: Dang that was expensive! $5 for 1 pound, which was enough for the 2 loaves, with some leftover. (So that makes the z.bread over $2.50 for each loaf. Not exactly frugal.) It has a very molasses-y smell, which is sooo yummy. It made me wonder if Karen could tell I made the bread with fake sugar....

~~New car!!~~P-chan's moped was delivered last week. If anyone knows where to find the $*%@# fuel switch, please let us know. The owner's manual was written by somebody for whom English is definitely a second language. ScooterDepot.us has less than stellar customer service. In fact, they are the worst I've dealt with. Talking to a live person is near impossible, and they have yet to return our calls. On the bright side, we have a huge box for the boys to play with, packing bubbles and twist-ties galore, a wood palette, and the metal frame from the box even gave us $1.28 in "scrap metal" salvage. LOL P-chan will have to take a motorcycle class, and get a license endorsement, so it might be another month before he can officially drive it. *sigh*

~~here, doggy, doggy!~~
I am dog-sitting this weekend. Well, sort of. Since Kenshin is scared-to-death of dogs (even the 15-pound beagle called Lucky), Lucky has to stay at her house, instead of coming here. I'm watching over Lucky, because Hugh tagged along with Jecka and Andrew over to NC for a friend's wedding reception. (Jecka would normally watch Lucky) So, 3 times a day, I drive over to Hugh's house and make sure Lucky hasn't messed on anything, that she has food and water, and let her run in the backyard to take care of business. And 3 times a day, Kenshin freaks out that Lucky might try to show him some affection. *sigh*

~weird bugs!~~
If you like looking at weird bugs, check this out: What's That Bug. If I weren't so nauseated from being pregnant, I would really enjoy that site more.

toodles!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I adore zucchini bread!!!

Cool moped...sorry about the bad service!

Thanks for the link to the bug site...too cool! :)

The Royals said...

I can definitely tell that it has fake sugar;), but it looks great!

The Dillon 6 said...

Zucchini hints: you can shred it and freeze it in ziploc baggies (flat) in "bread recipe portions." I also used to add shredded zucchini to spaghetti sauce and other casseroles, burritos, tacos, etc. so my family wouldn't know they were eating them. ;)

Autismland Penny said...

You could always mail some delicious bread to your best friend in Florida! I love zuchinni bread!!!!